If you do not want the Student Health Insurance Plan, you must decline or opt-out of coverage by submitting a waiver. You may only opt-out of coverage during the following Waiver Periods:
The waiver period for: PA, MFA Spring Start & Spring/Summer EDUC ended 01/13/2022. The online waiver system can no longer accept new waiver requests.
I don't want to waive; I would like to enroll. Please click here to ENROLL
All students enrolled in 3 or more credit hours and Psychology Graduate students enrolled in 1 or more credit hours are required to participate in the Student Health Insurance Plan. All international students and exchange visitors in F-1 or J-1 visa status are required to have health insurance at Pacific University. The premium is automatically billed on the tuition billing statement.
Students enrolled at Pacific University that wish to opt-out of the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) must submit alternate coverage information through the Academic HealthPlans Waiver System. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet the requirements listed below and be submitted with proof documentation prior to the deadline listed above.
Please review these prior to submitting your waiver request.
- If you plan to, or your program includes, travel outside the State of Oregon (for example: clinical rotations for graduate health profession students or club sponsored activities) your insurance plan should include comparable coverage for all types of medical care that extends beyond Oregon borders.
- (Note: Plans that provide benefits only for emergency and/or urgent care do not satisfy this criteria. Likewise, if you have an HMO and your campus local area is out of network, your coverage does not meet this If your HMO offers guest privileges in your campus local area, you can potentially meet this criteria by obtaining guest privileges. You must contact your insurer to receive guest privileges prior to waiving coverage.)
- Comparable coverage through the federal exchange (healthcare.gov) or the Medicaid system (Oregon Health Plan) may only have limited coverage and/or networks if leaving your local area which could result in limited or no benefit coverage.
Domestic and Non J-1 Visa International Students Waiver Requirements
- Plan must cover inpatient/outpatient care in Oregon (included but not limited to office visits, hospital, labs, x-rays, mental health, prescription)
- Must have maximum benefit of at least $500,000 or more
- Must have coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Plan must be currently active and student must maintain coverage throughout the entire academic year
NOTE: The following plan(s) will NOT be acceptable for waiver approval:
- Plans that provide benefits only for emergency and/or urgent care
- HMO plans where the local area of campus is out of network
J-1 International Waiver Requirements
- Provides medical benefits of at least $100,000 USD per accident/illness
- A deductible not greater than $500 per injury or illness. (A deductible is the amount that you need to pay per injury or illness before insurance will pay the remaining balance)
- In the case of death, payment for repatriation of remains up to $25,000
- In the case of serious illness or injury, payment of expenses associated with medical evacuation to the home country up to $50,000
- Policy must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with A.M. Best rating of “A-“ or above, or a Weiss Research Inc. rating of “B+” or above. (McGraw Hill Financial/ Standard & Poor’s Claims paying ability A- or above, or Moody’s Investor Score of A3 or above also acceptable.) Alternatively, the policy must be backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country